Sunday, January 17, 2010

Honeybee Doormat



I was recently asked by my friend if I take vitamin supplements, to which I answered "no, they are a waste of money." This was not a completely truthful answer. I forgot that I do eat bee pollen, aka "beer bread", daily. Why bee pollen instead of vitamins? Because I believe that the bees and flowers can do it better than the humans.

Pollen is collected by placing a screen under the entry to the wooden bee hive which acts as a doormat. When the bees walk over it, the loose pollen falls off their legs onto the screen.

Bee pollen contains the following nutrients [the location and source of bee pollen can cause variability in the vitamin and mineral content of bee pollen]: All essential amino acids, minerals, including phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium, copper, manganese, iron and zinc, some trace minerals, all B vitamins, including B-12 [one of the few vegeterian sources of B-12], Folic Acid, Panthothenic Acid, Rutin, Lecithin, RNA, DNA and enzymes. It also contains anti-oxidants, including flavanoids, beta-carotene, Vitamins C and E, and Lycopene.

Take care when you are eating bee pollen, it is very potent, so start with a small amount (1 teaspoon) to test your tolerance. Generally its best to eat a small spoonful per day.



No comments: